Natural Spring-Cleaning Solutions
Ah, spring. We have waited all winter for the sounds of birds happily chirping and the fragrance of flowers blooming wafting through the air. Spring has a funny way of helping us to feel like we are getting a fresh start. Speaking of fresh, spring is also the time when our minds begin to drift off to that not-so-pleasant task of spring cleaning our homes. That’s right, everyone. ‘Tis the annual opening of the windows and scrubbing of the floors, walls, and other surfaces time. Yippee!
Before you crack open that bottle of household cleaner you bought at the local store, do you know what is in it? Most likely it contains some toxic ingredients that are not included in the list of ingredients. Know why that is? Because companies are not required to disclose some of the nastiest things they put into their products. It can be quite an alarming wake-up call. We think we are keeping ourselves and our families safe and healthy by regularly cleaning our home environments. Only we may be using products that are putting their well-being at risk.
Put that harmful bottle down and back away slowly. We have some all-natural options that will get your home sparkling in no time without jeopardizing your health.
Toxic ingredients in cleaning products
Stroll down the cleaning aisle of any store and you are sure to find plentiful options for products designed to clean your home. They make promises to disinfect your home and keep it smelling clean and fresh. The problem is, they do it with some nasty chemicals.
We would like to believe those household cleaners on the shelves are safe, but the truth is, several hidden toxins are lurking in these products. Here are just a few of those scary ingredients and how they can affect your body.
- Phthalates are what give cleaners and other household products their fragrance. Companies are not required to disclose this in their list of ingredients under proprietary laws protecting businesses. You will most likely see it generically listed as “fragrance.” There are some documented health risks associated with phthalates since they are known endocrine system disruptors.
- Perchloroethylene (PERC) is the active ingredient in most carpet and upholstery cleaners. It is a known neurotoxin, which means it can alter the way your nervous system works. It can cause dizziness, loss of coordination, and other unpleasant symptoms.
- Quarternary Ammonium Compounds (QUATS) are found in most household cleaning products that claim they are antibacterial. People who are repeatedly exposed to QUATS can develop asthma and other respiratory conditions.
- 2-Butoxyethanol is an ingredient in some window, kitchen, and multipurpose cleaners. According to the EPA, it can contribute to pulmonary edema and severe liver and kidney damage. Cleaning product manufacturers are not required to disclose whether their products are using this harmful ingredient.
- Chlorine is often included in toilet bowl cleaners and most products designed to remove mildew and mold from surfaces in our homes. The problem is prolonged exposure to it can irritate your respiratory system. In a worst-case scenario, it can disrupt your thyroid.
These are just some of the potentially toxic ingredients in household cleaners and other products.
Oily solutions to springtime cleaning
You know how sometimes we say, “there is an essential oil for that.” Well, this is another one of those times. There really is an essential oil product for every cleaning need in your home. Let’s take a look at some of the oily solutions to springtime cleaning that will get your home squeaky clean and smelling fresh without a bunch of nasty chemicals.
Eucalyptus Globulus and Citrus Fresh™ essential oils are great for ridding your home of those funky smells that have a way of accumulating. Put a few dabs on a cotton ball and stash it anywhere in the house (including the bottoms of garbage cans) to help control odors. Another cleaning and disinfecting Rockstar is Tea Tree essential oil. It just may be the uncontested champion of odor elimination. Diffuse a few drops to help rid your home of any dreadful smells it has accumulated.
If you are looking for an all-in-one oily cleaning solution, get yourself some Thieves® Household Cleaner. This powerful Thieves PSK all-natural solution is so versatile you can use it to clean any surface in your home. From countertops in kitchens and baths to the walls in every room, this bottle of oily goodness works wonders. Our Thieves Cleaning Bundle makes it super easy to make the switch over from harmful cleaners to our plant-based alternatives.
You can feel totally comfortable using Thieves PSK and the Thieves Cleaning Bundle, as neither contains any harmful ingredients. Unlike with some cleaning product companies, Young Living is happy to share with its oily friends exactly what goes into every bottle of Thieves. It includes essential oils like Citrus limon peel oil and Rosemary leaf oil. Natural, plant-based surfactants sodium methyl 2-sulfolaurate and disodium 2-sulfolaurate give Thieves its “detergency” properties. As a bonus, all ingredients are biodegradable. So, you don’t have to sacrifice the environment to get a clean home.
Putting it to the test
Ready to put your new natural cleaning solution knowledge to the test? Grab a bucket and your bottle of Thieves and get to work! Want to learn more about living an oily lifestyle? Consider becoming a member at On Call Essentials. Our members are granted exclusive access to our Oily Education resources. Join today to get started on your oily journey!